Old 09-17-2019, 10:07 PM   #402
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
The twins fit in the S - segment at Sports Coupe

What are the twins classed as within that segment then, sports car? GT coupe? Super mini? Sports sedan? Sports saloon?, hell you could even fight the fight for Pony car if you are from America....

Some wicky thing - "Pony car is an American car classification for affordable, compact, highly styled coupés or convertibles with a sporty or performance-oriented image.[1][2] Common characteristics include rear-wheel drive, a long hood, a short decklid, a wide range of options to individualize each car and use of mass-produced parts shared with other models".

If you go off some typical guidelines, they could fit in between super mini and sports sedan.

They are not really a "sports car" because it is not a roadster, it has back seats and a fixed roof.

So, what is it then, does it matter, before 1970 the 911 would have been classed as a GT Coupe? Maybe.., but, after 1970 marketing decided they liked the name "sports car" better, and so it came to pass.

Hell, every generation that passes changes the names of things to something "more hip".

Classification is simple, but then cool kids and marketing walk in the door and complicate things.

Lets call them GT coupes, the name GT86 gives it away. Sadly though, they don't actually match up with the specs of what a GT is, marketing and cool kids strike again.

If you need to name them, call the Sports Coupes, after that it gets tricky, and pointless.

Opinions may vary

LOL

All really good points. I just refer to the twins as 86 or BRZ now. GT86 should never have been used. It doesn’t fit what I think of a GT car. Grand Touring right? Yeah I love my car to death, but it’s not grand or touring capable. [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk