Old 07-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #57
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
It is unbelievable that there has been no official response to the issue. Your video has an error, there is no TSB in South Africa, just internet rumors. You should edit this. Even heard claims that the new calibration file was made and distributed by an EcuTek tech, nothing to do with Toyota.

This is not a minor issue or new platform quirk, this is a catastrophic engine failure mode.

The issue is one of four:
1. Poor assembly at Subaru
2. Heads too hot
3. Detonation from poor factory tune
4. Heads not machined properly for DI injector
I am pretty positive the African TSB is real as posted. It would be a very elaborate fake.

Going to say this based on experience, take it for what its worth. I have a very close friend who works for a large Japanese company, in the American division in the engineering complaint department. She does case studies on odd failures in their products (Very complex products).

They take these complaints in CRM and start to monitor other cases similar.

They are instructed to never acknowledge it has been an issue or is a problem. Never disclose to service or the customer past or present cases.

Internally inside US and Japanese engineering they take the data and either roll out fixes into manufacturing or to the service contractors.

My second experience was back in 2007 an independent study was launched which my dealer made me aware of testing trans fluid formulations in a 6 Speed Manual Honda Accord. There were reports all over the internet and finally in the news about almost every single 6SP manual trans model from Honda having issues with 3rd gear syncros.
Basically binding or popping out of gear.

I talked with people who had gone all the way to the top of Honda corporate structure about these issues. The same answer was given. They were unaware of any issue but will take the information and forward it on.

The truth was this issue was well know for almost 4 years, and Honda silently released one of the largest TSBs in their history. All that time they never admitted to or even once said or acknowledged it was a problem or IF they were working on it.

• 2003-07 Honda Accord V-6 with M/T
  • 2008 Accord V-6 coupe with M/T
  • 2006-08 Civic Si coupe
  • 2007-08 Civic Si sedan
  • 2003 Acura 3.2CL with M/T
  • 2002-06 Acura RSX with six-speed
  • 2004-08 Acura TL with M/T
Point being I worked with so many people on that issue. Having enough experience to honestly say. Japanese companies like Honda, Toyota, Subaru etc. the culture has and will be limited transparency.

They don't admit fault. In this car you won't get straight answers. But what you can do it try to be as open as possible about the issue.

As it relates to this car, the seal issue is nothing like what I dealt with on the Honda side. We have so few reports on the forums of true failure that it's hard to gain any real traction except to make people aware it could be a problem and how to keep an eye out for potential symptoms. That was the goal of this video and article. Not to be an alarmist or cry foul.

If and when I see real data larger QTYs of cars with this failure my tone will change.