Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttputt7 View Post
Info:
- FRS 2016
- 25k mi
- Factory

Whenever I go from reverse to 1st and i have to crank my wheel all the way, (say backing out to a 90 degree angle) when I go into first and start driving i get a clank noise.

Recently i've noticed when driving in 1st or 2nd and driving around a parking garage I can hear squeeling/creeking coming from the steering wheel (or maybe wheel area), but it only happens about 40% of the time.

Do you think
- CV joint?
- Strut?
- Brace?
Hello Puttputt7 and welcome to our forum -

I reckon that clank noise could be caused by any number of things in the drivetrain (clutch, TOB, transmission, driveline universals, differential, rear axles, axle nut) or something binding or unbinding in the braking system of a wheel.

Boy, now don't THAT narrow it down -

I suggest you round up a buddy, one drive, the other listen, to see if you can tell where the sound is coming from.

Your second observed sound could be a lot of things also. Starting with "in a parking garage" - one could hear all kinds of sounds. It could be a tire on the concrete, could be a brake pad dragging, could be a slightly sticking caliper. It could simply be the electric power steering system doing its thing.

Again, can you isolate where the sound is coming from?

The third possibility that it's all in your head - (this car makes a lot of strange sounds).

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote