View Single Post
Old 05-06-2019, 09:59 PM   #27
Mrone

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
*Update*

Took the car to the dealership -- long story but I wont get into it here -- and they were able to replicate the lockout the 1st and 4th gears. Apparently it was the synchros. They replaced the transmission under warranty.

The gearbox still feels bumpy though. The closest example would be if you slide a pen horizontally over (or between) keys on a keyboard. Feels like it's hitting something. The mechanic said "that's just how they are." I tested another BRZ gearbox and it did feel similar. But if that's the case then I don't know why mine felt so smooth before I took it to the dealership [side note: I found out they changed the transmission oil during their "warranty inspection"]. I suppose it's just something I have to get used to now. At least the lockout problems are gone.

I appreciate everyone's input and trying to help me solve the problem. You guys are awesome!

TL;DR: Snychros bad. Got new transmission; no more lockout. Bumpy gearbox is "normal", so I'll stop whining.
Mrone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mrone For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-07-2019), jcw99 (05-07-2019), kevaughan (02-23-2022), Ultramaroon (05-06-2019)