Old 11-29-2013, 11:19 PM   #2712
shiro

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2014 Lexus IS350
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing View Post
Fuck that's awful. Sorry to hear and see that happen. Keep us up to date on the situation. And, HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you too! We need a black friday on parts!

So I should update mine as well. I had this code thrown the last day at Tail of the Dragon. Drove home for about 4 hours with no issues but the code was there. After I got home I let it sit for a month while I was busy with other things and waiting on some ability to research, order the part and line up time to fix it. In that time I moved it out of the garage once and then didn't touch it until a few days after my post showing the intake cam actuator which is ~$200 shipped from a dealer in ATL. Better than my local dealer wanting $275 after tax.

I wanted to do a data log the day before I was gonna tear into the motor and went downstairs to do it with a friend. Couldn't load the log because I didn't have the right file... blah. So I said hell with it, lets go for a light drive. Drove the car with no issues, didn't really get into boost much and all seemed well. After a mile or two I noticed that the "loss of traction light" (not sure what that's called that shows up in the tach) went off. The next day I drove the car to my Jordan's where we were gonna get started on everything. The CEL was on but the traction light was still off. Cranked the car up one more time and it was gone. I'm not complaining, I'm happy but very confused. I still have the part and I'm trying to drive the car more frequently (just turned 6k miles ) but it's the most interesting/odd thing.

I'm just gonna keep driving the car and see how things go.
Sounds like what happened with my car for the first month before the engine blew. I was talking with my tuner today and with this car having so many issues with the ECU it could ultimately damage the engine, like in my case. To elaborate more, the ECU could fail at giving the Variable Valve Timing Control the right input on how long the valves should stay open/closed causing an engine catastrophic failure. I'm assessing that was the case with my car. A new ECU could take at least 6 months before getting a replacement since Toyota has been using all their back stock ECU's for warranty claims.

If you are willing to give my route a shot on reverting the car back to stock and trying to do a warranty claim, then I'd say keep experimenting. But for the most part you might have a faulty ECU, sensor, etc. I will find out next week if the dealership is going to work on my car. Finally got the car back to 99% stock other than a sound system, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
Mine had an intermittent CEL/SL that would turn itself off. It has been to the dealer 4 times with different parts swapped or replaced and is now being lemon lawed. I hope your CEL doesn't turn back on, but you should be ready in case it does.
That really blows man and I hope the lemon law stuff works out. It's pretty shitty that you had to claim the lemon law when Toyota knows this is a serious issue and should just replace the car or components (with working ones lol). Best of luck buddy.
shiro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shiro For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (12-04-2013)