View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 02:44 PM   #7
kowalski

Drives: 2016 brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
infinity 6.5 6kappa 62.11i install with pics

Hi again,

As there are no pics available in this thread, I though I'd share mine. I recently did install some 6 1/2 infinity kappa on the front doors. I also have a pair of JL audio C1 400x coaxial speakers for the dash. But I have not installed them yet. Will post when I do.

So, first some considerations after viewing a lot of videos and threads on speakers.

a) Removing the door panel is tricky. Be extremely cautious. Some plastic clips will be retained on the metal part of the door, some will loose a black plastic circle they have around, etc. Drivers door was easier for me. I had to struggle with passenger's side. Very though. Might be a good idea to strengthen screYMMV.

b) If attempting to reuse the OEM plastic mold for your new speakers, as I did, beware when cutting the plastic brackets. Some chips may sparkle to your face.

c) White wire is always the positive one in both right and left doors (2006 brz. Blue and brown are negative)

d) I used eastwood stuff to sound deaden the doors (well, just the speaker hole in it). No smell, so far so good. Although it is a little bit difficult to glue it given the speaker hole and window placement.

e) When soldering wires to the speaker plastic mold, heat will affect the glued clamps and may cause them to fall off. Did not happen...but it could.

f) Just putting these speakers on, even if tweeters are not in use (they might be if you decide to upgrade your amp and head unit and redo the wiring, so nothing is lost really. IT IS an upgrade) makes an audible difference. More bass and sound clarity for sure. But do not expect subwoofer bass thumps. Sound on default speakers whas not that bad, but distorted a lot at higher volumes. This is much better. Even without upgrading dash speakers. You will feel a difference. Sure thing.

g) difference in weight is not that significant (except for the eastwood xmat if you decide to cover a lot with it. I just did the speaker hole).

Ok. Now some pics.

Some tools needed:

thermoacosutic stuff:

Removing OEM speaker cone:

Removing brackets:

Soldering and matching polarity:

Door harness details:

speaker fittment in mold (screws do not completely fit right, you could possibly want to use some glue to make sure they do not get loose)

mounted on door:

door handle cables attached to panel:

That's all. I'll post more pics if I get the c1's to fit the dash. Have fun.
kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kowalski For This Useful Post:
Chimera (09-13-2017), DAEMANO (09-13-2017)