View Single Post
Old 02-05-2017, 02:11 PM   #8
Si_Chris

Drives: 2016 ISM BRZ Limited, 2000 Civic SI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
What kind of magic material do you think this film is made of? It's still just vinyl at the end of the day. You sound upset that after 20,000 miles, the XPEL wrap isn't in pristine, just-installed-yesterday condition. A big rock is still a big rock. This isn't a deflector shield. It's a super thin wrap designed to minimize the damage caused my small debris. Large rocks will still damage it. I've had my XPEL wrap on for over 40,000 miles, including three winters, and tons of road trips, and while it has a few small nicks from some larger bits of debris, it's in amazing condition, and the front of the car still basically looks new.
I did my research before choosing XPEL. I looked at 3M, Suntek, and Avery Dennison but came back to XPEL mainly due to its self healing properties at the time, as other brands didn't have this. For the amount of money you pay for paint protection film, especially XPEL, and what the product planners at XPEL market to potential customers/clients as the "best" paint protection film on the market, why wouldn't you be upset if the film is not living up to what the product planners make it out to be?

I would expect the film to hold up better than it has in my situation. I did not expect it to get scuffed, and marred from basic daily commuting on the highway. And, I keep my distance as well from other cars when driving.

And it's not made of vinyl, it's made of polyurethane, which has been proven to be more durable, and even more flexible than vinyl.

Overall, the film has kept my front end rock chip free for the most part. The durability of XPEL is just not what I expected it to be.
Si_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote