Old 04-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #67
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestwheelbase View Post
For some it is the other way around. The digital speedometer is redundant because the car has a needle.

Losing the needle means losing peripheral reference to speed. Instead of glancing at needle location you must look exactly at the value of a number. Difference between a watch with hands and a digital clock. Not everything needs to be digital.

Consider, instead, that it would be easier to incorporate these readouts into the existing LCD. This would alleviate the "replacement cluster" indicator because you're just reprogramming the existing LCD display. Add sensors, let the driver cycle between readouts by pressing the turn signal stalk (or something like that), and set warnings as they wish. Then the driver can select which readout to monitor, and if they reach - for example - excessive oil temperature, then the LCD would automatically go to that readout and flash to indicate the problem.

TRD could sell this as a full kit. Sensors, reprogramming (or aux control box), and something fun like a tachometer overlay that has yellow and orange markings and the TRD logo.
I'm interested to see how a poll would turn out asking which speedometer do people reference while driving. I can't think of one time that I looked at the analog speedometer. The digital readout is right there and easy to read. The analog unit has an unconventional spread too. On most cars, 0mph would be where 60mph is for us.

Sent from my Nexus 4