Old 10-10-2019, 10:23 PM   #11
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Beauty is only surface deep. If they want them to look authentic, they'll accomplish that. They will net far more money with good looking fakes than obvious ones. They probably are not fakes though, I don't feel that " fake spark plugs" would be very common at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
at the end of the day, you pay extra for better supply chain management.

back in 2010 Newegg sold a large batch of Intel CPUs that were fake. Fake how so? blank instruction booklets, tin foil, a picture of a CPU fan (instead of the fan itself in the box). The only reason why it got past QC is because someone in the supply chain switched it out for similar boxes with the exact weight, and bogus serial numbers.

So having near-perfect fake product isn't so much about someone going through the trouble, it just means someone in the production or distribution chain has access to the IP/specs it takes to make these products. End users (especially DIY end users) often don't know better, nor do average mechanics that value time over quality.
What's interesting is the NGK spark plugs I got off Amazon are so close to the originals that I can't tell if they're fake or not, even with all the various articles and guides showing how to spot fake NGK plugs. It'd be as if the fake Intel CPUs in the example above had fully accurate instruction booklets, actual fans in the boxes with correct markings, perfectly matching font, etc.

The reason I'm going to put these in (besides the fact that I'm beyond the return period ) is I actually think these are real NGKs. These plugs get the small details right that a counterfeiter probably wouldn't bother with (like the laser-welded tip, platinum spot on the ground, overall quality of construction and materials). It doesn't have any of the telltale signs of being a counterfeit that are seen in the articles/guides.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote