View Single Post
Old 11-28-2016, 11:18 PM   #8
MRS-Colin

Drives: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
A bit late to your post but:

I've done a few CAN based conversions in vehicles, so I feel like I have some experience here. Think of the car and its vehicle network as an algebra equation. A+B+C+D+E+F = WorkingCar

Remove E, you have WorkingCar-E.

The only extra bit about this would be that system A B C D and F rely on messages from system E. If you can replicate system E in all of its functions, the equation works again. This is all possible.

Why isn't it readily available? It takes time and time and time. Motec and others have put the time in and have gotten it all working. In a few years time when CAN based vehicles are more commonplace, this will be a non-issue. A good bit of people I talk to in the industry still really don't understand CAN.

Another thing to consider: Manufacturers are now more than ever cracking down on sharing information like the CAN .dbc file. After the recent attacks on FCA vehicles, information has gotten even more scarce. I know a good bit of Japanese manufacturers don't share the CAN format with their American counterparts. That leaves people like me to sit and stare at messages and poke and prod for hours to essentially "guess" it all correctly THEN make it work.
@Art_Mighty (12-02-2016), Calum (11-29-2016), civicdrivr (12-01-2016), ILLSMOQ (11-29-2016), tirespin782 (11-28-2016)