Old 02-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #1131
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vq37 View Post
Light weight is nice, but the obsession about it is really getting out of hand in this place.
Then again, if some people weren't a bit obsessed about light weight, we wouldn't be having this discussion because there wouldn't be an FR-S/BRZ coming out.

Quote:
The Nissan GTR is 3900+ lbs, the 911 turbo is 3500 lbs despite being a 2 seater. Do you really think they make boring daily drivers? Even the ZR1 is 3329 lbs, I guess the FR-S/BRZ must be much more fun than that too because weight is pretty much everything isn't it?
I've driven a GTR and Corvettes (Z51 and Z06, not ZR1), and I'll say that the FR-S should make a more fun and engaging daily driver. The Corvette actually feels bigger than it is, while the GTR feels like a driving a bank vault. Highly capable supercars and of course a hoot to drive superfast, but for daily driving and general driving around, a Miata or (I'll bet) FR-S is going to be more fun.

Quote:
The GC for being a 2+2 GT car is actually fairly light compared to its competition. Most people who want a comfortable fun daily driver are gonna have to take a 3000+ lbs car or risk losing a lot of features/comforts and practicality.
I'm not much of a features/creature comforts guy, but typically these don't really add a ton of weight. Bigness is usually the culprit.

Quote:
If having a single purpose track car is fine for you, then maybe FR-S/BRZ will work, and it might work for me too if its priced low enough.
I don't see the FR-S as anything like a "single-purpose track car". For me, it's a small, relatively lightweight rwd 2+2 daily driver street car. That will also be a lot of fun as a backup track day car.

Quote:
Despite the lower weight, the FRS/BRZ will be a tough sell if its priced above 25k, most people will just see the 348 HP 3.8 (the 2.0T) R-SPEC Genesis coupe for near the same price and go with that
Sad but true...

Quote:
A lot more standard features, much nicer interior, a lot better warranty, wider tires,
The FR-S actually has more tire width per weight! But very few people will realize this.

Quote:
etc. It may seem superficial but I can assure you, that's how most people will think.
No doubt about it.

Quote:
The FRS/BRZ is lighter, probably has better road feel, likely more balanced and might feel better through the corners, and while that's an important advantage, it just isn't enough unless its priced noticeable lower because the GC wins at everything else.
In that case, it's doomed, because I don't think it's going to be priced much lower than the GC.

Quote:
You can't really even fix the problem of low torque and HP
For 99% usage, the power is going to be FINE. I never get my S2000 into VTEC on the street. The way I drive it, it's essentially a 150hp/2750 lb. car. And it's a HUGELY fun daily driver. At the track, yeah, I can't get enough power/weight. On the street, I normally just don't need or use that much.

Quote:
on the FRS/BRZ due to the high compression ratio, so I doubt it would make a good tuner/turbo car either.
Thicker head gaskets, roots-type blower, maybe? That'd be pretty cool...
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote