View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 07:23 AM   #1130
Deslock

Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vq37 View Post
The people who really value proper driving dynamics, perfect balance, etc are really a very small minority.
Yes we are, and that's why cars like the FT86 are so rare.

Quote:
Also, no doubt lighter cars are "generally" nicer to drive, no one is disagreeing with that, but to endless obsess about weight just doesn't make sense. You need to look at more than just weight. Why don't we just all drive around in stripped out NA Miatas? Its lighter than the FRS/BRZ. You can't judge a car by just its weight and I feel many members here are just endless going on and on about the weight of the FRS/BRZ.
I don't view it as an endless obsession, and I haven't seen anyone in this thread suggest that you should look only at curb weight when judging a car. But there is a point where it prevents a car from being poised. To me, even the recent rumor of 2762 pounds for the BRZ is a bit much, but it might be OK given the COG and yaw-moment.

It's a question of emphasis, priority, and compromise. And again, I'm interested in the FT86 rather than the even smaller/lighter MX5 because I need 3 seats.

Quote:
Indeed we have different priorities, to each his own.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=223

Quote:
My point though is that my view will apply to far more buyers of coupes, its just how the average consumer sees things. I'm not bashing your view or anything, there is nothing wrong if you really have to have the lighter and more balanced car (at the cost of interior, space, power, etc), its just less common. Its not hard to see that when you look at how many 3000lbs+ large genesis like coupes are out there and how many FRS/BRZ type coupes are on the market and roads.
I don't think anyone is disputing that.

If you haven't yet, read that bmwblog article I linked to.

Last edited by Deslock; 02-06-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Deslock is offline   Reply With Quote