View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #6
Siriusly.Andrew

Drives: 1995 Civic DX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enc0re View Post
It would be priced competitively with the 370Z, so $30K-$40K depending on kit. Turbos would be very unlikely with Toyota's current focus on N/A.

Perhaps there would be a high performance version with the Lexus 5.0 V8. Probably a little over $50K for that.
Have you been living under a rock? Supra's are known to race against GT-R's, though produced to race against Corvettes...

When the Supra was first introduced it was a Celica Supra. Basically a Ceilca with a bigger engine (6 cyl instead of 4 cyl). These cars (both Celica and Celica Supra) were considered to be direct competition to the Mustang.

In 1986 they split the Supra from the Celica line, up and changed the Ceilca to a FWD car, while the Supra remained a heavy weight combatant with popular Pony cars, fighting with a renewed I6 engine.

In 1987 Toyota turbo charged the Supra in hopes to go from Mustang competition, to Corvette Killer. With the improved performance, was an improved price tag. Unfortunately the sales were not improved.

1988 marked the year of the All-Trac (Musta been an amazing year, considering thats when I was born.) Celica was given a 200hp Turbo 4 cyl motor, and AWD to handle the increase. in 1990 the Celica was arguably the most beautiful high-production car of the early 1990s.

Sales of the Supra halt in 1992 for a redesign to be revealed in 1993. The Previously Turbo charged engine is now a Twin Turbo engine, producing 320hp. Prices in the $50,000 range, sales are low. Performance is high, 0-60 in 5.3 seconds (1993, thats $%#!ing fast.) Racers call the Supra "Pure Adrenaline attached to a license plate."

1996, Toyota is considering discontinuing the Supra. Sales are low. 40 are imported per month into the States, and only 21 per month are taken to Europe. Other Japanese legends, such as the Nissan 300ZX, Mazda RX-7, and the Dodge Stealth had been discontinued.

When they were once Affordable Fun cars (pocket rockets I believe the term is) they had become over-optioned, over priced and the market had been swinging to Minivans and SUV.s

1998 is the discontinuation of the Supra, and in 1999, Toyota launches the new Celica. The space age redesign make the car look futuristic, fit for the new millennia and is an aerodynamic achievement for Toyota. Nearly as capable as the 1998 Supra in handling, the new Celica is an incredible seller for the new year.

The Toyota Supra was one of 8 Japanese cars at that point to achieve over 1G on the skid pad.
Siriusly.Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote