View Single Post
Old 07-14-2019, 03:35 PM   #13
NARFALICIOUS

Drives: '88 Supra 1JZ, '16 FR-S, '23 GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconic View Post
Since my car is completely stock right now, should the first thing to save up for be an OFT? Im getting the feeling that I need that no matter what component I buy first. I am interested in getting an n1 exhaust and then headers, do I need an OFT to tune the car after those too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
If you plan on driving your car in NJ in the winter, the first thing I suggest you save up for is a set of winter tires.

If you are going to put an aftermarket catless header on you car, it would benefit from some sort of tune.

There is lots of good information on this forum, try searching using google and preface your search with - FT86club.

Before you start messing with the car their is a couple of considerations:

* how will your messing effect the warranty?

* renewing the re-registration your car with the DMV?

I would recommend that you just put a cat-back muffler on and leave the rest of it alone -

humfrz
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconic View Post
I was looking at the UEL catted header, but yea I am covered under warranty til 125k, nearing 20k now. The only thing that may mess with the warranty that I see is the OFT, other than that I should be good with the N1 exhaust. Also for the tires, I have been looking at Pirelli P Zero All Seasons, would these work for winter? I was thinking I could just use the OEM tires for summer until they wear out. Im currently just saving money and planning the build, I wont be pulling the trigger on any $400+ purchases (other than tires) for at least a few months.
Do you really have Summer tires on there right now? Or are they all seasons?

Since it sounds like cost is a big factor, the way I would go about it, is Tires-->OFT-->Header-->Catback-->Flex Fuel Kit.
When I started modding my car, I lived in Arizona so i actually got OFT & Header at the same time instead of tires. However I grew up in Chicago so I know how important good tires can be. I've missed class before because my brand new FWD Civic couldn't go up a slight incline with snow

The catback requires the least work to get going which is why a lot of people get it first, but it is the least effective if you are looking for a little more hp.

Believe me though, while E85 & Header will make the car feel GREAT especially if done at the same time, you will still not be beating anyone around town, it's still only 190-200whp. The car would be great for track & autocross events though =)

And personally, the reason I would save flex fuel kit for last is that I have pumps very close to me with E85 (and all are at least 70% ethanol) so I rarely have to change out. But, if I have to switch back to regular gas, the OFT allows you to save up to 5 tunes on it which can be uploaded to your car in about 10 minutes (find the threads on here on how to do it).
I currently keep the v4 Gas, v4 E85, v4 Gas + Pops, and two v2 tunes because i don't have anything else to keep.

NARFALICIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NARFALICIOUS For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-14-2019)