View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 03:23 AM   #43
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T Argento
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
BTW, high school is by no means a measurement of smart.
Especially with No Child Left Behind - I'm not saying its bad program, it just makes school stupidly easy for most.
I fell asleep everyday in class and walked out with no interest in school ever again.
Thank goodness college is a bit more difficult and stimulating.
Knowing me at 16 I'd have been too curious and turn off the TSC - now I don't even consider touching that button until I finish the "break-in" (if such a thing exists) and then hit the tracks with an experienced person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Skyline364, none of the reasonable advice (and not all of it is, it is the Internet after all) has to do with intelligence. It has to do with experience, which despite what you think, you don't have.

(Can't believe I'm doing this, I should probably get in my rocking chair first)

First, just because everyone at your school has what you say they have, doesn't make it right. There were kids at my high school like that too. Most of the cars did not go unscathed, but some did. Maybe you'll be the exception, maybe not.

By the time I got my license, I was "pretty smart" too. I was at the top of my class in high school (gave the commencement speech at graduation), I had a full time job, I had been riding dirt bikes/go carts/minibikes since I was 7, had been driving large farm equipment since I was 10 and had even driven some really obscenely fast wicked rear-end, no traction control cars (my Dad was a dirt track guy who didn't know better than to let me drive them around the track or "in the woods").

Guess what, despite all that, I damaged or dinged up my first street car no fewer than 5 times in the two years I had it, mainly because I thought I knew what I was doing. I wasn't unsafe, I was just "too smart" for the experience level I had and thought I could do things I wasn't ready for.

Fortunately, it was a $300 car (probably equivalent of a $3000 these days) so no real harm/no foul. I enjoyed fixing it back up after each ding.

If you and your parents are willing to assume that risk, than good for you, just follow some simple rules:
  • Don't race it, regardless of what people say or do.
  • Don't turn off any of the traction control on the streets.
  • If you want to do either of the above, get professional training first and only do it in a controlled environment.
  • Remember that every driver, regardless of age or experience, needs to remember that they are probably not as good as they think they are, and can easily get into situations they can't get themselves out of, you are no different.
Best of luck to you!
Bonburner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonburner For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-27-2012)