View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 02:16 PM   #2831
MysteryMachine

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ, 2002 Bugeye OBS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semprini View Post
Is running a single cat on this car that dirty? Also, the guys have pointed me at a catted header from ft86speedfactory that would make this a non-issue. I'm not trying to gain 2HP at the cost of pollution - the initial headers I was looking at did not come in a catted version. I definitely don't want a loud stinky fart car - was just looking to swap to something at some point that got rid of that torque dip and made a slight rumble like I've heard with a UEL and a quiet exhaust.
I don't know specifically with our cars. Catless stinks (smell and environment), but going from 2 OEM down to 1 OEM is probably similar to going from OEM to high flow and so no, my guess is not dirty and still within the legal pollution limit - but if your CEL is thrown you will not pass.

Its why I think OBD2 is stupid. CELs for catalyst do not measure pollution particles - they just are triggered if they sense O2 changes out of the "normal range" for your vehicle. Cars can be within limits for pollution and fail because of a CEL, while others outside of the legal pollution limits pass depending on how the range was set etc by the manufacturer.

Then we end up with all kinds of crazy laws, like in California, that make it illegal to tamper with your exhaust or CPU which everyone hates.... let us play all we want with parts as long as what is coming out the tailpipe is within legal pollution limits! (but sadly no one in gov't thinks this way... to them modding cars is evil and dangerous)