Old 09-05-2018, 09:26 AM   #47897
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
The statistics are pretty readily available, the difficulty comes with trying to compare it "cross platform" like autos to planes. It is also more difficult because "general aviation" covers a broad spectrum of flying types from ultralights to corporate jets. This AOPA report based on NTSB statistics comes closest, but it deals with raw numbers and does not talk about the flights that did not end in accident or death.

In the end, single engine private planes are more dangerous than cars, in much the same way that motorcycles are more dangerous than cars, but I do not believe it is a magnitude more dangerous.

The one place where planes differ is a lot of accidental deaths are a result of either running out of fuel or flying into conditions you are not capable of handling. Both of those are almost entirely preventable.

At least to me, it all boils down to flying being less forgiving of human error.
85% (I made that statistic up) of all aircraft accidents are pilot error. The majority of them are fatal. The errors due to mechanical the pilot just lands the aircraft the large majority of the time. Pilot unemployment right now is like 2%... I'm interested to see how that going to effect the commercial statistics.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-05-2018)