Old 08-16-2019, 07:10 PM   #316
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlDance View Post
Under normal circumstances I wouldn't really ever downshift to gear 1 unless the car autodownshifts to it when the RPMs drop too low, often around 6-7mph. The engine and transmission has to cross a large threshold due to the shortness between 1 and 2 so it's always sketchy. Half the time downshifting from 3 --> 2 is uncomfortably jarring across the entire drivetrain if it ends up over 4.5K RPM unless I hold the throttle at least modestly down until after the engine revs and locks up the trans. I've chalked all of the above to normal, unless someone else can chime in.

I do wish the AT was more seamless in shifting. Sometimes it's fast as lightning in dropping the revs to upshift, but downshifting it feels like it's beating the crap out of itself to rev up, especially downshifting from 5th to 4rth.

Edit: While on the subject, does anyone know if the first gear on the AT actually locks up?

Upshifts at low RPM will always need to be slower because revs just drop slower at lower RPMs. The same thing happens on a manual. You can rush it with a manual but it’s not good for the syncros. Downshifts can be faster because you can accelerate the engine faster than you can decelerate it. This is where a lighter flywheel really comes into play.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote