Old 02-11-2019, 03:14 PM   #15
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanzky View Post
I don't disagree with you. Dissuading the OP from taking on something like an engine swap could be costly and definitely not easy. All I was asking was the costs between a built FA20 with FI versus a swap. The reason I asked was that I thought, from reading other threads in this sub-forum, that many opted to swap because the cost was pretty similar.

From what I remember, building up a stock FA20 and adding FI would cost around $15k. On the other hand, selling everything and getting an LS1, Tremec (Magnum XL, some opted for IIRC?), and an IS300 rear differential was also around the same price. Of course, you'd have to sell your stock engine, transmission and differential for around $8-10k first, but the idea of the out-of-pocket cost being the same but instead you get to "trade up" to a more reliable engine, with more power NA, was the reason most people went the engine swap route. I could be wrong if that's not the case. It's just what I remember from reading threads here a while ago.
Not a hope in hell you will get $8K - $10K for the stock drive train anymore.
Yes you could manage to do it cheaper with more available engines but the OP was specific to the 2jz. You could also do the FA20 build cheaper if you just buy the parts and build it yourself instead of buying a pre built engine. Overall the built FI is going to cost far less than a swap. There are maybe 10 successfully completed swaps documented on this forum compared to the thousands of FI cars. The biggest reason for that is cost.
Seanzky (02-11-2019)