Old 11-28-2017, 09:21 PM   #23
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSToyota86 View Post
Our collective opinion among several friends and a few business owners who ship regularly is that UPS is no longer the great company that it was once.

If you want your orders to shipped promptly and avoid delays at major shipping hubs just avoid UPS.

It seems like if their trucks are not full at the hubs, they will hold your packages until the next day or more to fill them up in order to get most profitability and higher utilization, on the expense of the deliveries being done at a later time. Which is terrible considering how much you pay. Major competitor FedEx is always more reliable it seems.

Claims with UPS also seems like resolve in favor of UPS in a quick, swift and peculiar way.

After Hurricane Irma, our Local FedEx delivery trucks were on their regular routes with in a day, however after nearly a week, my scheduled Saturday delivery status which shows in truck and out for delivery, magically gets delayed, blaming the hurricane, which is absurd since here in Central Florida we are for most part back to normal already. It appears to me that the management at UPS is taking every opportunity, and using every excuse to resort to penny pinching, to save fuel, mileage, and not wanting to pay the price for doing business and therefore causing annoying delays on regular basis.

If you are operating an online business and selling parts or shipping to friends and family, I humbly suggest you avoid using UPS and choose FedEx or USPS, specially is you are shipping to Canada. UPS is the only company which will charge your clients on the other end a import processing fees, which is often around 35$ to 40$ USD which is aroud 50$ CND.

Thank you for reading, I tried to keep it short and sweet.

I wish UPS would eventually commit to offering better services in near future, but at the moment they do get a thumbs down, and it is what it is.

You're spot on, except for the part about the trucks at the hub. The trucks are probably bursting at the seams, and can't handle any more. So, instead of putting one of the 3 drivers (who are going home for the day without work) into one of the 5 trucks (that will be sitting there empty all day), they "exception" the leftovers with a lame excuse. Why? Because there are forcasted production numbers for supervisors/managers to meet. One of those is number of trucks on road at each center, and God help you if you don't meet that number. Service be damned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
I hate UPS. As a canadian I don't understand why I'm paying 40% fees for a simple delivery, and when a business only offers UPS as a delivery method, I actually don't even buy their product.

Because UPS owns their own brokerage house, and uses it like a license to print money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
It was just a matter of time until UPS went down the shitter. I agree with the OP and i have noticed it too. UPS over-works drivers and they work crazy hours. That alone is a recipe for poor production. I know someone who had a package arrive past 10PM a couple weeks ago. Until they revert to regular hours for their workers (40 hour weeks) and put more trucks on the road, they won't be able to keep up and maintain their formerly stellar reputation.

Again, Spot-on! Thank you for noticing. I tore up my shoulder trying to keep up with the workload.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Imagine my shock when I bought a used OFT from the US for 500 CAD and was hit with a 144 CAD duty charge.

I'm shocked too...that it was only $144

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
Making friends with my local UPS driver is a big plus for me. He always knows im working on something with the Vette or 86. We have brief convos about the next mod and I always thank him. He usually comes to my neighbor last since im usually working during the day in case theres something to sign. At little thanks goes a long way these are still humans doing a job, we haven't gone into full drone takeover just yet.

Customers like you are a pleasure to do business with...

I'm a 15 year driver (or was), and love my job. At one time, I was proud to say I was a UPS driver. Years of being on the inside left a bad taste in my mouth.
Let me paint a picture...One day, not too far from the end, we (the driver group) were pleading with the preload supervisor to give us some help as there were likely to be service failures across the board (not because we care about the customer. NOOO, because we're a bunch of lazy, expensive, unionized employees) . The response we got: "Don't worry about deliveries, we already have their money! Don't miss pick-ups."
What little respect I had left for that company faded away that morning.
Cole (11-28-2017), FRSToyota86 (11-30-2017)