strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,482 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
Is this just a common problem with switching to Motul? I wonder if anyone has just ignored this and what happened.
No, the throwout bearing causing the noise has no direct interaction with the transmission fluid. Unless you are making the argument that the international standard for transmission fluid specified by Aisan is deficient as it causes a mechanical impact on the transmission input shaft affecting the throwout bearing.

Motul 300 meets the specifications in the owners manual, most cars have not changed transmission fluid at this point as it is a 60,000 mile service.

This video shows the assembly on a VW, the parts and motion are a bit different in an 86 but the fundamentals are identical: (I don't think you need to watch the whole video of him replacing it, just enough to understand what is making noise and where it's located)
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qpUr-NnR2o"]Overview of 5-Speed Clutch Lever & Throwout bearing system - YouTube[/ame]

This video shows a worn out throwout bearing, as it gets beat up from being used (they wear out without abuse, wear faster with abuse) it gets sloppy and begins to rattle around.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3SloMlvvHw"]Mitsubishi L200 rattle from clutch release bearing - YouTube[/ame]

This is common across all makes and models, but quality parts should make it to at least 60k miles no problem, my FR-S throwout bearing is audible under most conditions at 43k miles (Yes switched to Motul 300 at 30k). I'm a bit disappointed but I've put it under some rough conditions (couple hours spent tracking and autocrossing the car so far not to mention the occasional spirited drive on public roads) so fingers crossed that it makes it to 60k before I replace it, it sounds like the clutch itself is solid so maybe I'll just be doing the bearing which should be like a $20 part at the most.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote