View Single Post
Old 02-11-2018, 08:03 AM   #44
ryejeff

Drives: Miata
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmimac351 View Post
Part of that answer may be how far you need to drive to get to the tracks you want to go to. Shortly after I got my BRZ, I drove it from Central FL to events at NCM in Kentucky, then from there to Watkins Glen, and back home to Central FL. I would not have wanted to do that in a Miata, even an NC Miata.

Another issue is tires. If you plan to or want the option to swap tires at the track, it's possible to be self-contained with the BRZ for wheels / tires / tools. With a Miata, you're looking at dragging along a Harbor Freight trailer.

Brake pads are another issue... depending on what setup you want to run, swapping rear pads on the BRZ is MUCH easier than a Miata. The parking brake function is via a drum configuration with the rear rotor, so it's able to use a caliper style similar to the front, which makes rear pad swaps easy and a matter of seconds - literally.

If my need were to drive the car to and from the track, a twin / 86 is hard to beat and an easy choice. I didn't pick up an NC Miata because I don't like the BRZ... I love the car. I got the NC because it was too good to pass up and I'd been looking for exactly this scenario for a few years now. The last Miata I owned before my NC was a '99. It was a great car, but there's no way I'd drive that to and from the track, compared to what I've experienced with the BRZ.

I love both cars and now I have both. Have I mentioned that one day I hope to come across a deal on a "salvage" 86 car to gut, cage, etc?
Oooh. This is extremely helpful.

I hope to travel fairly far. MN does not have a glut of tracks, so I imagine a road trip or two each year to a different track (perhaps alone, perhaps with son). Maybe actually see some of this country...
ryejeff is offline   Reply With Quote