View Single Post
Old 03-09-2017, 07:42 PM   #124
Calvin27

Drives: GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post

As it was stated before, enjoy the car, it will NOT continue. From a financial standpoint it is NOT a success. Sure there are a few on here that are passionate about the car, but that is few and far between. Even the dealers are not interested.

We are more like likely to see a 200HP Corolla or a 350HP Camry, before we see a 275HP 86

The twins were an exercise, we benefitted, Toyota lost.
Agree to some extent. The moment they stop production, I'm holding onto this baby as my retirement plan - it will be a classic.

Having said that though I doubt they consider this a failure from a financial perspective. They knew well and good what they were getting into. That they struggled to meet supply at launch suggests they never intended to make a profit selling large volumes. To put into perspective, would anyone take a supercharged yaris or hotted corolla seriously if that was all you had? Even Honda has copped it on this front. Sometimes you need some loss leaders.

Anyway fast forward and engine options are out because subaru won't allow it (eats into wrx sales) and shoving anything else in there will change the car too much. I suspect the MR2, alongside other cars is a way of toyota saying what else can we do since the life of the 86 is limited. THe advantage of MR2 is that there is no need for engine development (it will more or less run FF configurations in reverse) and all it requires is some chassis development which Toyota already has a predecessor anyhow - this is a viable option to explore given the 86 life is limited.
Calvin27 is offline   Reply With Quote