View Single Post
Old 10-16-2018, 02:13 PM   #19
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I bought the GrimmSpeed hood dampers. They are a tad pricey (~$100 to $140), but I was willing to pay the premium for good design and manufacturing. The brackets are thoughtfully engineered and fully restrained. This is the only kit I was willing to shell money out for. The Greddy carbon kit ($200) looks pretty thoughtfully designed too, but costs more.

I was never impressed by the brackets on a lot of the cheaper cookie cutter import kits ($30 to $80), some are better than others.

I work on my car/have the hood open very often; I hardly use them for "show." My friend always thought dampers were just whatever, but he bought a set after he saw mine. We both work on cars frequently, and the convenience was well worth it.

Only drawback - on especially windy days (25 mph +), the shocks won't reliably keep the hood up when you're out in the open. However, if you use it in tandem with the prop stick (hood struts holding the stick in tension) or you're in the garage, it works fine. Other than that, totally satisfied with my Grimmspeed purchase.

Last edited by EndlessAzure; 10-16-2018 at 04:30 PM.
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
GrimmSpeed (10-17-2018)