Old 05-16-2023, 04:11 PM   #5
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
You can't hook a USB CD player up and expect it to function, that's not how the car's USB port works.
In the past few years, there has been significant progress made to allow these external-type CD drives to work in some (not all) factory systems. Some newer Toyota cars in particular can utilize these drives. Whether Subaru has made the same progress or not, I can't say, but I haven't seen any evidence yet that proves they WON'T work in our particular vehicles. It wouldn't hurt to try. Let me make a call and see if I can get an answer....

Edit:
So these USB CD drives are relatively new on the market. I called my local stereo installation shop and they have had some experience with them, with mostly good results. The only notable problem he had was one drive needed to be returned (cheap Chinese electronics) and the customer had to get a replacement, (the customer had purchased it from Amazon and brought it in), once the new one arrived, it worked like it was supposed to.

He also stated that he has installed some in Toyota AND Subaru vehicles, such as the 4-Runner and the Forester with no unexpected issues, however, he also said that he hasn't had one of the 2nd gen cars in his shop yet.

So, @ZDan you wanna be our guinea pig? If it doesn't work, you can always just return it. Amazon has a pretty good return policy.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.

Last edited by FR-S2GT86; 05-16-2023 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Made a phone call.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
ZDan (05-16-2023)