View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 07:10 AM   #25
arbnpx

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I love these types of comparison reviews, where they show the "personality" of the car, which is the combination of its power, suspension tuning, steering, and weight balance. The Motor Trend video with the V6 Mustang Track Pack versus the BRZ was another excellent example of this type of comparison.

In this one, you can see that the BRZ has very responsive steering and suspension, is very resistant to rolling, and is slightly down on power, but has a balanced level of power, which is offset by the responsive steering and suspension. The Genesis Coupe 2.0T definitely looks like a heavier car, as you can see that it can't transition as fast, but it has the power to stomp on the gas and spin the tires (which comes at a cost: a bit of a "snap oversteer" reaction in some of those left-to-right oversteer transitions, as well as slow throttle response due to turbo lag). The NC MX-5 is very light and lively, but lists like a sinking ship when heaved into a corner, and as we've seen in the Best Motor TV battle, is slightly down on power-to-weight versus the BRZ.

After watching a comparison like this, you can get an impression of what kind of handling profile suits your personality. I want a light car with very responsive steering and throttle control, and that's what the BRZ shows. Of course, I reserved an FR-S last May, but all of these reviews have only solidified my position, and made me even more satisfied about my choice.
arbnpx is offline   Reply With Quote