Old 10-06-2015, 10:02 PM   #31
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Actually I have found that mine chips far less now then it used to. Same driving conditions, same roads, nothing has changed but I haven't seen a new chip in months.
I have had a similar experience, but I chalked it up to more careful driving. I'm a lot more aware now of what kind of trucks are going to kick up garbage, and on what kinds of roads. Now I instinctively back off a half mile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
There are 27 whole or parts of States north of where I live. This includes a little piece of Nevada.
Doubtful, unless you live on Pelee Island. The northern border of Nevada runs along the 42nd parallel.

Back on topic, I just got my 45K mile oil analysis back from Blackstone. Here's the narrative that came with it:

Quote:
We've yet to see any fuel dilution in the samples from your BRZ, so you're taking them plenty hot. You also have one heck of an oil filtration system, with the insolubles readings for all 5 samples in the history no higher than 0.1%. Insolubles are oxidized solids caused by heat, use and blow-by, and the fact that they're so low means the oil filter is doing an excellent job, and it isn't getting overwhelmed during your longer-than-average oil use intervals. Wear levels are superb, and the metals are properly balanced and steady, so we'd say you're in good shape. Nice report!
To be clear, I'm changing the oil every 7500 miles as indicated in the maintenance schedule. So "longer-than-average" doesn't mean I'm stretching the oil or filter. The metals in the oil haven't changed much since the first full duration fill after break-in. All my numbers are rock solid.

I don't know what that means for 100K miles or 200K miles, but it seems to be doing all right so far.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote