Old 08-19-2017, 08:05 PM   #32
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zentec View Post
Right hand drive has nothing to do with anything. The Japanese OM has everything to do with it because these cars are Japanese engeneered cars. If you bothered to read the post link I quoted all the way. You would understand that the only reason they use 0w20 in the North,South American and CA is that the dealer/manufacture gets a price cut/car and incentive back for each car that is "fuel efficient". That was from the Subaru OM. If you actually know anything about oil even if you live in a snow belt ect a 0w30 or even a 5w30 is better for protection and cold weather start. Other than that the different brands of oil have different additives ect like different brands of gas. What is important is the winter and the weight like 91 octane is the minamum and recommend is 93. The brand is up to you after octane gas is all the same but with different additives ect for different brands.
So a Japanese engineered car means you have to read the Japanese Owner's Manual and take the others with a grain of salt?

You know what BMW recommends in their cars? Whatever the dealer sells, or a specific type of Castro.

You know what happens when you run an oil outside of those guidelines? Nothing. But your warranty coverage may be impacted in case the oil causes engine failure. But no one cares if you run a non-BMW approved oil.

From the thread you referenced and what you wrote:
Quote:
You will see that they suggest 0w20, 0w30,5w30, and Castrol SLX Professional SM 5w40(race oil). This Is an Subaru designed engine they know the tolerances. As for brand of oils personally I am considering Royal Purple or Eneos. I have looked at Red Line, Motul, Mobil 1. I have used Mobil 1 in my Subies for years. Royal Purple seems to have an higher friction capacity than others, although I have not seen the Eneos tested. The fact that its Japan's #1 oil and is formulated for Subies is why I'm leaning towards it.
So why are these oils better than every other 0W-20 on the market? Or are we just basing decisions on assumptions and not fact?
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote