View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #102
elbles

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have a 2010 GTI (manual) coming off lease in a few months, and was seriously considering one of the Toyobaru twins as its replacement.

A lot of my thoughts echo others posted here. My GTI is stock, and in straights, it feels much quicker than the BRZ/FR-S, while the magazines have it about 1/2 second quicker to 60 (substantial, but the subjective gap feels wider, due in no small part to the difference in torque... the difference in weight doesn't cover that).

In corners, it's not even close. The GTI's weight distribution is all wrong, and the height of it makes it even worse. The BRZ I drove put the GTI to shame. Great balance, great feel... it really is the modern day 240SX (I had one as my first car), with a far better engine to boot.

The GTI is my DD, and that's the reason why the BRZ is not my next car. It's a lot more fun when you find the right corner, but it's nowhere near as nice as the GTI is inside, doesn't have as nice a stereo, etc.

For a weekend/track car, it's no contest. For me, as a DD, it's not a contest either, despite my general dislike of FWD. The GTI was That Good(TM) for me to overlook its FWD shortcomings (at the time). The BRZ is That Good(TM), but for me, I can't overlook its shortcomings this time around.
elbles is offline   Reply With Quote