Old 02-05-2017, 01:56 PM   #6
zkahle

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Si_Chris View Post
Have you had issues with the film tearing from rocks?

I have had XPEL Ultimate installed on my car for close to 20K miles of daily commuting on the highway (full bumper, partial hood, partial fenders, and full mirrors), and the Northeast winter has recently put a beating on my film on mostly my hood and bumper. My hood has at least 5 tiny tears from rocks impacting, and my bumper has scuff marks from rocks impacting as well.

I didn't expect the durability of XPEL to be this low. At this rate, I am planning to have my installer replace the film eventually with new.
In my opinion these tiny rips in the film are to be expected if the road debris is large enough. After running the half hood on my car for three years I only managed to bet 3-4 rips that were about 1-2mm in diameter. Now despite having the film rip i'm happy that this only affected the film and not the underlying paint, heck we all got the film in the first place to protect the our paint. In the end I upgraded to a full hood "something i should have gone with originally". Im sure your local XPEL distributer would be more than happy to take care of the rips in your film.