Old 03-22-2015, 03:58 PM   #59
Caspeed

Drives: FRS-RS1, Triumph Speed Triple, Lola
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
Its a mechanical assembly, and with wear and break in the feel will change. If you have a "good" gearbox shifts should always be smooth with two finger effort to change gears on this car. I have been in 86s with great gearboxes where clutch, gear feel rivaled some of the best manual cars. And others that chattered and were hesitant to engage gears.

Its a combination of experience (seat time) with manual transmissions and understanding that certain factors like, temp, gear oil, driving style and what is normal helps to make a better driving experience.

Personally if you have a good gearbox on this car there is absolutely zero reason to change anything in pedal travel, etc. I had 24k miles of rev matching every downshift, engine broke to every stop, but never gear skipped up shifts or down shifts (see S2000 problems). I never had one grind even after track miles. But this takes understanding more than just getting in and banging gears.
I'm willing to bet that many of those gear boxes that were "bad" are victlms of being slammed into gears or other such mis-behaviour.

The real danger in skipping gears while downshifting is if you do it at too high a speed. In our cars there are safeguards against over reving but they have no effect in this kind of over rev.
Caspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caspeed For This Useful Post:
Koa (03-22-2015), Tcoat (03-22-2015)