View Single Post
Old 08-28-2015, 06:15 PM   #168
abraxis

Drives: many
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
No you don't get it. YOU MADE THE CLAIMS! No one else claimed there to be a problem, YOU did.

You made claim X with no data to verify your position. When we say "validate your claim X with verifiable data," you answer with "prove me wrong!!!!" (PS, I don't own any of their parts)

Hardly a defensible position. Either way, sorry for mucking up the thread gents, I won't feed the troll anymore.
Actually I made a valid and cogent comment about the potential for loss of structural integrity due to excess machining. That's basic Engineering 101. You had jump asking for numbers. You don't need numbers to state a commonly accepted principle like the sun is hot or ice is cold. You do need numbers if you make the claim that 'X' part is fine under such and such loads despite the loss of material. That's where the burden lies. It lies with the one who deviates from common standards of acceptance. That's Statistics 101.

Thanks for bringing this up. Many often subject themselves to the same sort of confusion you are having so I'm glad to help clear it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBbugBITme View Post
Maturity is one of the last words I'd use to describe this "conversation".

Before you save the internet from poorly designed parts you should ask a few questions first.

Have I ever seen a failure of this part before? Not in this case.
Have I ever inspected the part myself? Not in this case.
Do I really need to tear apart someones successful design based on engineering theory on a public forum or could my question be directed to the designer privately and then share the response with everyone. Certainly in this case.

Not trying to be someone's buddy and being a jerk are two different things.
Well, whatever names or adjectives you prefer, thanks for coming down to my level to discuss the topic further.

First, have I seen a failure of THIS part? Hmm, not this specific part and the pics are difficult to discern. Have I seen strut tower mounting points fail, crack and tear? Yup. In fact, Toyota made specific revisions to the 03+ MR-S to reinforce those mounting point for just exactly that. So I know those areas can see significant loads that can lead complete structural failure leading to an accident.

Second, have I inspected this particular part? No, that's why I brought it up to responses. As I said, I have held other Raceseng parts in my hand (shift knobs) and came away with different observations and conclusions than yourself. Anyway, just looking at something only gets you so far.

Third, tearing apart? Really?? I asked if it might be possible to delete the logo to ensure proper structural integrity and maybe save costs. You seem to be making waaay more out of my comment than you should be. I don't see any pics with pointed arrows or links to pages pointing to specific issues. That's not because there aren't any either. You're being way too hypersensitive for a vendor in my opinion.

As for asking in pm? I've asked about this before once or twice and never got a response in other threads. Silence doesn't instill confidence. Sorry, I don't see the community value in undertaking a private two-way conversation with a vendor about safety and technical concerns. Better to get the vendor and others with more varied backgrounds and perspectives to chime in. If someone doesn't have anything to hide, I don't see the problem with an open discussion about a new developing product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBbugBITme View Post
As for the design, if you knew how it mounted you'd know there is surface contact at the bottom of the cone shape housing the monoball with the car sheet metal. This surface is taking all compression loads. You could remove the bolts and still support the car so with the logo out by the bolt holes, you could argue the largest loads the mount will see don't actually pass through the logo at all.
All rebound loads will be resisted by the bolts but they're quite small on a street car and considering the care that went into eliminating sharp corners along with the overbuilt design... this part will never fail because of that logo.

For the record, I sell Raceseng shift knobs through my side biz and they're the nicest, heaviest, most comfortable (except on a hot sunny day) knobs I've ever used.
Thanks to you, PST and Raceseng for the constructive responses now that we've gotten them. We'll just have agree to disagree about them being the best knobs I've ever used.

Still looking forward to seeing how this project pans out as more details emerge.
abraxis is offline   Reply With Quote