View Single Post
Old 08-28-2015, 01:02 PM   #167
Raceseng

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Can you elaborate a bit? To a non-machinist this implies that all your parts should be 'perfectly' smooth, not like a mirror finish but definitely without obvious evidence of the manufacturing process.

While I think 'ghetto' is harsh, I can see @abraxis point, on my cascam's I can easily trace the toolpath inside every pocket, front and back, I would not call them smooth.
Edit: And I mean smooth as a layperson.

It's not a knock against you guys, I'm very happy and would definitely buy from you again and recommend your products. I also have no question about the integrity of your parts, I think it would be foolish to question the function of your products based on the form (ironic huh?).
I too was not happy with the finish on the bottom pockets of our early CasCam base plates. I addressed this on the last production run of CasCam base plates we did... I changed the cnc program to leave .005" on the floor of all the pockets. We come back in with the finishing tool and do a finishing pass on the floor.

The tooling marks you saw in the bottom of the pockets were from trying to machine them in one shot with a .250" solid carbide end mill. The tool flexed a tiny bit from the load being put on it.
Raceseng is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Raceseng For This Useful Post:
drewbot (08-29-2015), rallysrt (09-02-2015), strat61caster (08-28-2015), wparsons (08-28-2015)