Old 04-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #16
Eurasianman
Chief

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuqMadiq View Post
I understand turbos don't feel as pure as a naturally aspirated engine, but I would sure as hell prefer the engine the later Cobalt SS's had. Turbo 4cyl with about 260hp/260tq and an optional GM mod to bump it up to 300hp/300tq.

This car has a lot going for it, but it seriously lacks balls.
280HP/320TQ You're right. The engine in the car is great. Just on the wrong platform. The Solstice GXP and Sky Redline are too small, but at least have the right platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
Then you should get a Cobalt SS.

Toyota/Subaru intended for power to be added by the owner later. They had rather focused on developing a low CoG and lightweight platform - things the owner can't as easily add later/would cost waaay more. Instead the owner starts on a launching pad with much greater potential. They give us a spectacular skeleton with enough meat; we just add some muscle. Light to moderate power upgrades can bring it on par with more expensive sports cars for less cost.

I'd rather have it with sufficient power/lower cost with a ridiculous platform than more factory power with a Cobalt SS platform. If we could have the awesome platform with high power all from the factory, it would be in the bleak $30k+ sports car segment. Less attainable and proven to lead to extinction (S2K then RX-8). Who wants Toyota to make it a 3-peat? So it's either more power or more attainable. Toyota chose the lesser of the two evils.
The Cobalt SS/TC platform is extremely nice. However, you get what you pay for. The interior is somewhat lacking. Furthermore, for me, it's seems as if I've acquired a Friday version of the vehicle. Mine has had nothing but quality control issues. In fact, last summer, I had a horrible turbo issue for two months. Turned out that MAP sensors weren't wired correctly when they installed the GM Stage 1 turbo upgrade. The car has plenty of power, but without an LSD (really GM? Optional LSD in a high powered FWD vehicle??), torque steer ruins the ride, unless you're good at controlling the power under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepGuessing View Post
^^^You talk about the Cobalt SS like it's some terrible platform for performance driving..

You do realize the cobalt SS managed to hold the record for fastest production FWD car around the nurburgring

It lapped the nurburgring faster than the Boxster S (something this car won't come close to doing.

It lapped Leguna seca faster than the Evolution 9..(Something this car won't come close to doing)

It lapped VIR faster than a GR WRX STi, 335i M Sport, Audi S5 and Gen Coupe 3.8...

The Cobalt SS was a highly accomplished and highly capable car, drivetrain and platform..To deny it THAT is just a huge glaring "I don't know a damn thing about it other than people consider it cheap and it used to be a cavalier"

Seriously sir, don't spout off about cars you really have no idea about other than "herp derp it's cheap" because the Cobalt SS, much like the neon SRT4 were both cars that were cheaper than this "thing" and offered a hell of a lot more to the "performance enthusiast" crowd than any scion ever released.

The car was arguably ugly...arguably "cheap" in interior quality.. and everyone owned a cobalt....But it was fast, it produced power, it's engine and gearbox were sound and capable...and it's chassis was equally able..the same goes for the Saturn Ion Redline...and even MORE SO once it became a Turbocharged car instead of supercharged.
Couldn't have agreed with you more on the "cheap" interior quality. Aside from that, it's definitely a solid vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintertrueno86 View Post

im gettin a cobalt ss then
:p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock View Post
From the Car and Driver BRZ review:

Seriously, I have nothing against the Cobalt... it's another one of those great bang for your buck cars. But if you don't mind FWD, there's no reason to be interested in the FT86 (and thus no reason to be on this forum).
It is a great bang for your buck, but you get what you pay for. And it's FWD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewksy View Post
I own a redline. It served me very well and has a lot of potential!

It also has a terrible interior, shoddy build quality, and the worst steering feel I've ever felt in a vehicle. There's no doubt its fast - with the stage 2 upgrade from GM it is incredibly quick and has an immediate power response due to the supercharger. But it's also fat - and feels like it no matter how much power you add to it.

So it beat some cars around a track? Big deal. You will not enjoy driving it as much as a lighter (slower) car.
At least you don't have to worry about torque steer with the FR-S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Like Switch stated. Go buy Cobalt SS. Cobalt SS is a great car, it's damn fast for sure. I've driven 600hp GT-R (R32) to 90hp Cappuccino. I can tell you one thing, FR-S got some balls. It'll give you bigger balls to master this car than any other current car in this price range... hell even in $60k price range it still won't have bigger balls than this car.

Again, if you want high up hp with turbo, go for it.
Cobalt SS is a great car if you can find one that has gone through proper quality control and hasn't been beaten on.

Just FYI, I bought my 2010 Cobalt SS brand new. It's been great, but the overall quality of the vehicle and the people who work at the service department is what kills it for me. I've only owned it for 2 years and and I'm ready to get rid of it. The performance is great, and the car, for the most part, is awesome. I guess I just had bad luck. I can't wait to get rid of it though for an FR-S.
Eurasianman is offline   Reply With Quote