Old 01-17-2020, 06:44 AM   #21
ROFL it's Waffle
The guy w/o an FRS or BRZ

Drives: '23 GR86 Premium 6MT Halo White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
You could make the same argument about people and vanity. Untold fortunes are spent every year on fashion, cosmetics, plastic surgery, you name it. People like to make an impression. Also there is an aesthetic component - the way a car looks can just make people feel good. Just like looking at a beautiful painting, or beautiful architecture. I personally agree form should follow function, but that doesn't mean form isn't important
Vanity is a funny topic. I bought my 11-yr old LS460 barely used (27,500 miles) for $20k. Brand new it was optioned to $75k. Everyone I've run into (my family, relatives, friends) assume "Wow, ROFL is doing well, that's a beautiful Lexus, must be nice." Other people assume you bought it new (when it's in great shape of course). I will admit that I do enjoy the vanity however petty it is lol, but I like to bargain shop which is exactly why the 996 came into scope, and why other fun cars (Gen 1 NSX) are also tantalizing my interests in a fun weekend/good-weather car. I still love the 86 to death since it goes back to my roots of slow-car-fast enjoyment, but I also don't own one yet lol.

To me, a car is an extension of your personality, and what you choose to do with it will be represented in a conglomerate of categories including but not limited to vanity, functionality/utility, drivability, livability, words words words....
ROFL it's Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ROFL it's Waffle For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-02-2020), TommyW (03-01-2020)