Old 06-30-2016, 04:44 PM   #29
Harlock

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth15 View Post
Sorry if I'm reviving a dead thread. Did you have any exhaust modifications? My noise started after auto x and before I had my catback installed. Not sure if it's coincidental or if something during autox caused it. Car had 1400 miles at the time. Like you it was only in certain ranges, though mine seemed to stop after 4k. Also had a honking whirring kinda noise and it still occurred when stationary while revving. Seems to only occur when the car is hot, that's not consistent either. I think it might be the TO bearing. It hasn't gotten any worse and I'm at 8k miles...

I'm thinking about doing a header and a tune soon, but I want to make sure my trans is solid first. 2nd gear is a bit knotchy and makes a bit of a thud when cold. 5th is consistently knotchy. Also had a weird sucking noise at high rpm with the AC on randomly. Sounds like a taser mixed with a vacuum. Idk how else to describe it. That only happens occasionally...
This started a day after I did a full exhaust upgrade. I'd get under your car ,after letting it warm up and revving it a few times, and look for condensation at the connection points; that's how I found mine. Fixed that and the noises disappeared.

That "honking" noise, does it sound like a low pitch "whoop"? I'm sure there's a thread on here about that. just keep in mind, what you were doing when this happened. It'll help narrow things down.

For the notchiness, try letting your car warm up and settle a tad longer.

that's my 2 cents.
Harlock is offline   Reply With Quote