View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #13
abutterman

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited - WRB, MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
That's a rash generalization. All Best Buy installers aren't idiots, some are MECP Certified, represent their respective patch well, and actually know what they're doing. Once again, it is not a reflection of the brand but a reflection of the installer. Sure there are horror stories out there, but what installer can honestly say that nothing has ever gone wrong during the course of an install? Probably none. I used to be an installer at Circuit City for a few years, prior to their closing, and I also was an lead installer at Best Buy. I still keep my Master level MECP and ASE A6 certifications current. To add to that, I have a few degrees in computer science, software engineering and electrical engineering. Even though I am beyond retail and commercial level installs now, I had many of the degrees and certifications while I was an installer at Best Buy and would often run across the same generalizations as the one you made so I take exception to it. I have completed over 1000 remote starts in 4 years with Best Buy, countless in-dash radios, amplifiers, etc. I worked on high end Ferraris, Bentleys, boats, commercial vehicles, motors homes, Winnebagos, you name it and I worked on it and I had 0 damage claims. There were some installers, that I worked with, that I wouldn't let change a tail light in my vehicle, and there were some that I would trust to do anything because I was familiar with the level of work they completed. The same is true for any place of business and I can't stress enough the importance of dialog with installers.

To the OP, as with all things, I would feel the place out and ask a ton of questions prior to letting anyone touch my vehicle. This goes for a big box retailer like Best Buy and local shops. A benefit of most shops, is that they have insurance so if they FUBAR it, they pay to fix it but 99.9% of the time, your install will go off without a hitch.
i used to work at a best buy as well and it was basically the same. We had 2 guys there that were absolutely amazing and never had any issues. Then they took this idiot sales person and made him an installer and he actually did a simple deck install on my old car and it took him 3 hours and ended up disconnecting all my lights. The other guy was like we don't touch the lights... then he looked at it and was like holy shit he's retarded. This guy then went on to puncture an airbag on an Audi while hardwiring a power cable for a portable gps... kinda hit or miss on who you end up with but there are sometimes some really good installers there.
abutterman is offline   Reply With Quote