View Single Post
Old 12-02-2019, 05:20 AM   #13
toddy101

Drives: LS3 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt88 View Post
Thanks for the response toddy101. Yes, it's a shame the fires up this way at the moment.

It's good to know you also used Holmart. It gives me peace of mind I'm going in the right direction.

That said, did they supply the LS3 with or without the engine harness and E38 ecu? Did you have to buy these separately? If you had to buy these separately (or any other key items to connect and get it running) are you able to refer me to any good suppliers you know of for these additional items?

I notice there are a few sellers on ebay offering things like E38 unlocking, tuning etc. Should I avoid these?

At least now I know if the E38 is used I can rock up to any Holden skilled tuner and get the job done. I have found in the past the minute you kind of (but don't really) know what to ask for with tuners they start to see dollar signs in their eyes and start charging like wounded bulls, saying it needs longer, more dyno time, more fault finding etc. which would obviously be a load of crap if it is just a bog standard commodore tuning job.
Hey Matt, The Holmart engine is pretty bare, no harness, alternator, belts, idlers, starter motor or AC compressor. Some of these you can purchase from Holmart with the engine, the rest I purchased from Holden at a reasonable price (compared to Subaru Prices!).
I have just sourced a whole heap of brand new LS engine wiring harnesses, so will get these modified with the FA20 plug shortly. With the E38, just purchase a 2nd hand one (or can buy new from holmart), you will need to remove the VATS anti-theft (the unlocking) and a few other options to run correctly. I can also do this, however if you plan to get a tune done, probably best to get your tuner to do it. To get into the ECU you have to purchase credits for every unique ECU, so if I (or an unlocker) unlocks the ecu will cost credits, then your tuner to edit the tune will have to also purchase credits. Most cost effective to get the tuner to unlock it, then only one shop has to purchase credits for your ecu.
toddy101 is offline   Reply With Quote