View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
rick

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TRD in flesh & 86 AT/PadShift Test drive

Hello there my first post so a little long!

I am in the market for a daily drive which would transport me to work and home which involves city traffic hence my choice of AT. Currently I drive a SUV and pretty much used to low rev heavy torque, speed does nothing to me. I wanted something comfortable yet fun for my everyday commute. Honestly I never thought the 86 would be even launched in AT version since the Mazdas come only in manual version in Dubai. So that left me considering a Mustang or the Challenger but somehow I didnt even bother getting a test drive

Come July 2012 and a huge billboard of the 86 gets plastered right on my way to work (yes im a sucker for marketing ) Called up the dealership to ask if the 86 even comes in an AT and finally got the call today to check it out. Meanwhile in these two weeks I bumped in this great club you guys rock! and educated myself of what you guys have been anticipating since years! Good thing is I was living under the rock and didnt really had to wait all these years in anticipation!

There are many reviews of the manual so I thought of sharing my experience for people looking to get the AT. So I Push-Start to fire the engine (in Dubai the mid level AT comes standard with push start and paddle shifters) and it I was in immediately. The steering felt so good and right and the overall ride in the city traffic was very comfortable. I didnt push it hard but the sales person besides me told me try the highway as well and that is where I tried the paddle shifters which really felt awesome. Now the funny part on our way back I suddenly remembered the 'Sport' mode! I begged for another short time on the Sport mode and wow its actually not the sensible tame car I thought is was which would just make it a 2 door camry! Overall I loved the car and Im sold. A small note the seat belt did annoy me for a while as it would rub my collar. Rest of the interior was good and didnt feel cheap. AC was perfect for the Dubai 45C temp. I did notice some sort of a sound at speed of 140km as though some paper sheet flickering in air .

Now the TRD bit yes I saw the TRD kit fitted in the 86 in flesh. Its the Top range of AT which comes with leather seats , side fins , and ofcourse the TRD wheels and bodykit. Looks awsome and if you wondering where are all the white 86's? They are all in Dubai .

Hope you guys enjoyed the story and the photos. Im planning to book mine after im back from my holiday just torn between the white or lava!!!!???

:happy0180:
Attached Images

rick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rick For This Useful Post:
MVJ1975 (07-18-2012), Primo86 (07-18-2012), sticky (07-18-2012)