Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRitt View Post
Just to be clear, Dave wasn't posting to complain about the disc cracking. He was posting to say, 'Wow, these discs take a beating.'
Yeah, sorry if it came off as a complaint. Granted I wouldn't have had the confidence to attempt this level of abuse with the OEM brakes but if I had it would have cracked a lot earlier. It was not a complaint in any way. I PM'd Jeff before posting this telling him I needed to buy some rotors, definitely not with a complaint He ignored the question about my buddies E36 though.. and Jeff, his name isn't Lance.... you can answer

Quote:
He has been intentionally pushing the limits of the brakes just to see what they could take. If you look back at his post about the CL pads and the temp strips, he was intentionally pouring as much heat as possible into his brakes. That's why he called it his, 'braking antics.' Dave is slightly warped and likes the idea of being the worst case scenario.
Warped... maybe a little. The car is so slow on the straights and we run pass-anywhere rules in the higher solo groups with Chin, so I really wanted to determine two things: 1) How late could I brake if I ever felt the need to, or if I brain farted for a second and stopped being focused, and 2) if I got a point by going into the braking zone for the hairpin, how likely am I to be in taking that point by, and slowing enough to successfully and safely complete the pass.. and stay on the track surface. You need to figure that out to have that answer so this is just me continuing to experiment. If I had another 100hp I wouldn't have to bother, I could drive just like most of the Corvettes and GT3's out there.. slow in, slow out, drag race, repeat... plus people like late braking and I had a few passengers this weekend. All were amazed at how deeply the car could go before braking, and the entry and cornering speed of the car. (that's all car not driver!) Oh, catching up to GT3s on hoosiers mid way through 17 with a 20mph closing rate unexpectedly and stabbing already hot brakes probably isn't too good for heat management either........ ugh.

Quote:
In Dave's case, if he wants to continue his 'antics,' a brake duct kit would likely bring his temps down a bit...or he could purposefully take it out of destructo mode and drive like a normal human-being. :p
LOL once I'm done testing the limits I will most back down to the faster hard on the brakes, ease off, turn in method. This level of late braking isn't fast since I'm overheating the front tires (and seriously loading them) in the process, it's just data for me. I am considering ducting though, I just hate to lose the foglights (yeah yeah they are pointless but I like the way the car looks with them), might run it next to the cooler.. don't know. :shrug: Need to figure out which ones will work correctly too, since most I've seen wouldn't. I think only one kit actually functions correctly that I've seen on here. I could just make some but I don't have much free time anymore
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote