CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantsDants View Post
Question for @CSG Mike or anyone else for that matter:

The topic of swapping for a different spring rate on the Flex Z has been brought up previously, but I was curious if you could provide more insight into what I'm looking to do. The pavement in Seattle proper is absolute garbage, but it's less about potholes and more about weird bumps and deformations all over the place. I'm trying to smooth some of the worst, crashiest crap out of the experience.

I've gone up to 11 clicks from stiff with the rebound adjustment, but I don't like the general boaty feel that comes with it. I've noticed that Tein offers 5K springs in their Standardized lineup that have the same free length and inner diameter as the 6K springs that come standard.

So my question is, and I know it's subjective, would swapping to a 5K spring rate provide enough of a difference in comfort over bad pavement to be worth the effort? Would the softer springs start bottoming out over large bumps? Will the dampers still be able to do their job effectively when changing the spring rate this much (I'm assuming the optimal damping setting would shift more towards the softer side)?

Thanks for looking!
It's do-able, but chances are, the damping will not match the 5k spring well, and may result in an even worse overall ride.

I do not recommend changing spring rates on *ANY* one way damper, no matter how entry level or high end.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
PantsDants (07-12-2016)