Old 06-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #45
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
To be fair, Japan went into the business much earlier when there were more improvements to be made. Nowadays engines are pretty advanced and well optimized (Toyota in particular has been doing quite a good job here with introducing direct injection and advanced valve timing, which Honda has not been keeping up with for some reason), so it's harder to bring "revolutionary" stuff in. Of course Japan has brought the world an unparalleled level of quality and reliability in automobiles which we can all appreciate, but I'm pointing out that variable valve timing, for example, is simple in concept, it just takes time and money to bring to the market, and arrived when these newer car companies were in their infancy.

I think Hyundai deserves credit for achieving what they have, they've managed to build cars of very good value even if they are less refined than the competition. They are putting a lot into research and are listening to consumers, which is good.
That is true! There is an economic shift and now we have Korean and China developing cars. There really isn't too much secrecy when it comes to technology these days. You know the tides are turning when China can build their own stealth fighter.

With that being said, I'm still not completely sold on Korean nor Chinese branded automobiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
look at any japanese car from the 50s 60s 70s and you can see where they come from. hell even the miata is just a elan clone. honda 600 has mini cues. 510s from 2002s. 2000gt is a quintessential french riviera sports car. celicas looked like they came straight out of detroit.

nobody intentionally carves their own path. you copy your predecessors until you fail and then if you get enough right to have some staying power the next generation follows suit. im just saying that korea might be to japan what japan was to the previous dominant car manufacturers. i think its too early to tell so lets not count them out
The first thing I thought of was the Dome Zero and how it looked exactly like the Countach!

As I mentioned before, they are still too young of a car company for me to consider buying.

Japan gained a lot of respect due to their competitiveness to not only race but to dominate it! Hyundai needs to enter in a 24hr Le Mans, build a F1 car, Nascar...something. Build a name for yourself instead of building a car that can look like a poorman's S Class and calling it a Genesis!