strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,474 Times in 4,995 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I don't think "most" cars develop serious issues even close to 150,000 miles. Most of the new cars I have owned have doubled that without serious issues and I do have to contend with snow.
Now, if we want to talk 80s or earlier cars then yes if you saw 150,000 miles without issue it was time to celebrate. Any cars built after the mid nineties seem to outlast the older ones to a great extent. No idea how it happened but the higher tech the cars got the longer they seem to last.

It depends on where you draw the line of 'serious issues' which I never said 'serious' if you look at my post, I said expensive issues, most people can not cover a $500 unexpected expense without going into debt for it and many cars require a service or parts replacement in that 150k-200k mile (240k-320k km) window that is near or above that line. For example: 2JZ timing belt/water pump service, K24 timing chain, replacing a catalytic converter (happened on our '93 Camry and our friends '99 Volvo), Honda Accords had this wonderful compliance bushing that likes to fail between 60k-90k miles, etc. Hell replacing the cam sprocket on an FRZ is $200 for the sprocket alone, easily >$200 for the labor and a known issue with this car. Throw out bearing? Oil seep out of the timing cover?

You have the income for quality mechanics (dealerships) to take care of your cars for the life of the vehicle and I'm guessing would consider a >$500 service over 150k miles (240k km) part of doing business. Not everyone would agree with you (see other post in this thread complaining about 'expensive anti-pollution systems' when a factory catalytic converter is ~$1k and lasts for at least 20 years so a whopping $5/month of service). How much did your throw out bearing replacement cost you (or would have if it wasn't covered)? I know I did it in my garage (hey my clutch pedal doesn't squeak anymore!) but I bet that's also a >$500 repair at a mechanic, some dealerships/mechanics have quoted >$1k for a clutch replacement on this car.

These cars are dipping towards $10k used, we're not dealing with people buying new cars and having disposable income to repair them as they need it anymore, we're into people who don't want to buy a Civic or Corolla and are looking at this for $12k-$14k sitting on the lot of the dealership hoping their parents/friends don't say "I told you so" when the thing is out of commission for a month because it spun a bearing due to over-application of sealant for the valve-spring recall and the dealership is blaming the owner trying to stick them for >$6k for an engine replacement while they're still making the ~$250/month payments on the thing.

tl;dr buy a V6 Camry
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote