View Single Post
Old 04-09-2015, 08:05 PM   #42
babydriver
Hit the road and I'm gone

Drives: 2015 FR-S Burnt Orange (Hot Lava)
Thanked 1,786 Times in 973 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
if you look closely at the tweeter with it out, its connector takes input on the 2 middle pins and wires the directly out on the 2 outer which go to the 3.5
and each speaker has passive crossover caps on board the speaker as I recall. I don't have any of them in anymore, I could look when I get home, but that's what I recall.

edit: the full signal deff goes into the tweeter, I don't think it would be possible for them to have fit a crossover network on the back of the tweeter, I think it's a simple parallel setup
Actually, without even looking, I can guess that the tweeters have a crossover cap in series and the woofer has either an inductor coil in series or nothing. The purpose of the crossover cap is to keep the low frequencies out of the tweeter, which can't stand the excessive excursion. Running full range on the tweeter would simply break the voice coil due to excessive excursion.

The woofer doesn't need this, but may have an inductor in series to roll off the top frequency. A capacitor in line (series) with the woofer would block all low frequencies and defeat the purpose of the woofer altogether.

Neither of these is usually very large on a tiny speaker like the stock one, so fine gauge wire in the inductor is OK to keep down the size of the coil. An electrolytic cap on the tweeter is pretty much standard practice. An inductor and a capacitor together form a first-order passive crossover.

The impedance will not be a constant 4 ohms, but will vary widely with frequency and rise as the frequency does in the tweeter. If the speaker's impedance drops much below two ohms in the bass region, most amps are likely to blow up their output ICs due to excessive current. However, if each speaker (woofer and tweeter) are 4 ohms, then the "driven" load is considered to be 4 ohms also, parallel or not.