Old 12-13-2018, 01:56 PM   #52
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,178 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan55 View Post
Thats the event. 2 timed full track sessions, 3 (or 4? I dont remember) sessions of "track cross" coned sessions.

Solo1 is not autocross. Solo2 is autocross. Solo1 was SCCA's now defunct on-track time trial program. Which was real time trialing, on a full track all the time. (Same as redline time attack, nasa tt, etc)
Which is not what this new time trial series is.

I feel like this is just another instance of SCCA desparately trying to get Autocrossers to the track. Its not working and probably never will, since they are fundamentally different in logistics and time investment.
I'm not quite sure about that, given the recent announcement unifying time attack in North America.

While the rulesets are not strictly aligned, the SCCA TT program is supposed to feed into Gridlife, which feeds into Global Time Attack, which feeds into Super Lap Battle.

I would have never considered SCCA in the past for TT, but with the new tour and alignments, it's on my list of events to attend in 2019.

IMO, it's an attempt by the SCCA to get fresh blood into their business. Many folks out there are not willing to build a W2W race car, myself included. If you look at the typical racer on a SCCA weekend, whether Tran Am, Spec Racer Ford, or Spec Miata, the majority of the folks are... older.

If you consider the number of 86 owners, vs 86 owners who track/TT/TA, vs 86 owners who W2W race, the number diminishes by two orders of magnitude every time you go down the categories.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (12-13-2018), FirstWinter (12-13-2018), Shark_Bait88 (12-13-2018), strat61caster (12-13-2018)