Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyB View Post
I just found this site. The info here is awesome. My .02 on this subject as a HOD Coach, Lapsinc instructor, and Blackhawk Farms Raceway instructor, who has logged almost 2000 track miles on my stock daily driven FRS, is that you do need different pads for the track, but not necessarily any more than that. Most of the damage I have seen on this site from damaged rotors at the track are actually from the driver imo.

When tracking and using good pads you have to manage your temps by getting on the brakes and then getting off of them. Duh, I know. Seriously, almost all of my students brake to lightly, too long. All of the energy of slowing the car turns to heat, but if you can do it quickly it focuses the heat on the surface of the pad and the surface of the rotor. These will immediately start to cool when you get off the brakes. Dragging 50' longer and lighter allows the heat to "soak" deeper into the rotor and through the pad material into the boat anchor cast iron calipers. Once everything is glowing hot from heat soak, your doomed.

Again this is my opinion with my car, but I have been able to absolutely harass Boss mustangs and Caymens on the track with stock tires and stock brakes with Carbotech xp8 pads on my FRS. Better tires would mean I could get on the brakes harder for a shorter period of time, thus reducing temps. I will only be thinking of BBK when I find another 50hp
This post is useless without video! I would love to watch that!
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
jonnyozero3 (04-12-2013)