View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #15
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonBLUE View Post
im pretty sure toyota knew there would be a dip right there from the get go, im pretty sure it was also considered when looking at DD gas mileage.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...200#post204200

this is the first 86 owner in the US and hes getting 27~30 mpgs with spirited driving and fast highway cruising speeds

from reading a lot of different threads I imagine the dip comes form a collection of these things:
1: header design due to boxer shape
2: harmonics
3: cam phasing
4: gas mileage(pretty sure the dip wouldnt look as bad if they didnt tune gas mileage into the equation)

some people say its the direct injection, but i disagree, when the car has the pedal to the ground, Direct Injection is always on
when we can get this car on a dyno and study timing, a/f ratios, duty cycles for port and direct injection, bench flow the heads, ect ect

we wont know for sure what this engine is capable of... but im excited for the first 10 years this car is out.... lots of dif mods, ill probably have 2-3 engines in my garage in 5 years just for tinkering :P
Thanks for the reply and also for the info. But on the topic of the dyno plot numbers possibly being due to intentions of better gas mileage, with a six-speed and its ratios, does anyone know at what rpms the car would be in when cruising at normal highway speeds (say, 60-80 mph)? And have any automatic FR-Ss been dyno'd yet? I'd assume that given that dip from ~3300 to ~4600 rpm, cruising speeds would put it at a bit below that unless you're going 80+ mph.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote