View Single Post
Old 04-05-2015, 09:03 PM   #141
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
THANK YOU! This is exactly how I'm feeling, especially now having driven the 997 Carrera S manual. Considering the $28k (with tax) I paid for the BRZ plus the mods I'm up over the cost of this used 911 I'm looking at, and I'm sorry but even with older tech the Porsche is a better car hands-down in everything but the looks department (I think the BRZ, especially my BRZ in GBS with the 18" Prodrive wheels, looks gorgeous). I went to an auto-x with the BRZ today and I must say I had a blast like I always do, but as soon as I had to go drive it home I was still mildly annoyed with the cabin noise at highway speed, random rattles, weak stereo and idiotic navigation unit, harsh ride, and well, it could use some more power... Looks like I'm putting her back to stock this week and trading in soon. I would still recommend this car to anyone, I guess I've just been spoiled with too many high dollar euro cars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
I've been testing a TON of cars lately. Last month likely 16 long test drives...

Boxster GTS
Cayman S
Cayman GTS
BMW M4
Jag Ftype
Audi S5

Let me tell you this. I love way my FRS looks and for the money honestly nothing in the market touches it.

Im mid 40s' I relived my modding days and have put in just under 60K non boosted, I know crazy hey... When I look at last 6 months I was seriously considering going turbo and all supporting mods, but then im into Cayman cost territory, so that got me thinking and well being an older dude you just do that more when it comes to money decisions I've found...

Anyhow I will share....

The refinement of the 981 series Porsche is astounding and nothing short of pure enjoyment. YES they are a ton of cash when you option them out 100% but good god man, they look great ride like a champ even on rough roads and honestly there is zero to mod or need to do if you select up the options you want day one.

I researched resales, warranty and have now in last month spoken to many many owners, and long term ones as well, basically you should bank on a grand a year to cover your services for the first 5 years, and certainly if going to keep past the 4 years warranty then for sure get extended as to repair they are costly. That said they are reliable, I have seen many over 10 years old with some pretty big mileage and running and looking just fine.

If I was looking for the mix of power and luxury and a year round vehicle however it wouldn't be a Porsche, it would be the Audi S5 amazing car in almost every way and considerably less, however its not a (toy dream car) is all but that would be my second choice next to a Cayman 981 series believe it or not. My least favourite was the Jag actually, just was not a fun car for me at least aside from the glorious exhaust notes. M4 was fast as hell, but again I didn't want to mess with it after speaking to many owners and reading up on horror stories and lastly well, every 3rd car here is a BMW why be a sheep right?

I am REALLY considering buying a GTS Cayman, absolute georgous car. I would love to also keep my FRS but their resale is so poor and yea it feels like giving it away, but after driving such good performance cars with the power and the connectivity I really am not certain I'd really ever drive the FRS anymore. There is a HUGE difference and I can say that as I've been experiencing it. For those that have not tested any of those level cars, I suggest not to, even if for curiousity, it ruins you trust me.... In some ways I wish I had not tried them now I just want to spend more dough then I realistically should????

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote