Old 05-24-2014, 12:51 PM   #25
zohare

Drives: '13 Firestorm Base AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr 286 View Post
So my new short block is in the car and they're planning to have it ready by Tuesday.

What failed: The dealership never really did much diagnosis beyond finding some metal in the oil pan. They just went ahead and ordered a new block after that.

Mileage: 38,000

How it failed: Seemed like a spun bearing to me based on the symptoms

Circumstances when it went out- slow and gradual or just boom: I didn't let it get to the point of seizing or going boom, but the rattle came without warning.

Results of warranty claim: Covered under warranty

modifications to the car, use of the car: TRD exhaust, daily driver, no competition

Last oil change: A week before failure. Before that, 5,000 miles prior (my dealership will not change it on a 5,000 mile interval with my maintenance plan. They say Toyota has these cars listed as 7,500 between changes. I have been paying for additional oil changes between their interval).

List of services performed: Re-torque axle nut, Tail lamp assembly replaced (both), new pilot bushing, ignition coil #1 replaced, new fuse block and engine harness

One accident a year ago. Kid backed into my car at a stoplight. 7,100.00 in parts. 3,300.00 in labor.
Yupp.... same story. Makes me scared to think what will happen with long term wear outside of warranty. I encourage everyone who's had a long block replacement to call Scion and try to get them to cover it on an extended warranty. Even if it's just the parts that were replaced, I feel that's very important. You're at 38k already, and a lot higher than me, but say it fails at 76k next time? Now what? warranty only goes to 60. Just stinks is all. Motors shouldn't be failing this early.

Curious about the coil and harness issue? Was it related to something else? you have a thread on it? As opposed to a head problem, a bad coil or not 100% coil rather would make more sense for the rough running that my car was doing before. Goofy idle, sounded.... excessively "burbly" in the midrange. I know that's a character of the car, but this is compared to the first motor. I hope #3 is perfect. Because if it isn't, seriously- I'm calling a lemmon law attorney. I just can't take it anymore. The car has been down for MONTHS in for service. It's ridiculous. Not to mention the diminished value long term having to explain paperwork of THREE motors to a potential buyer, even covered under warranty, they're going to think it was abused.
zohare is offline   Reply With Quote