Old 05-24-2014, 12:44 PM   #24
zohare

Drives: '13 Firestorm Base AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86viper View Post
While it sucks some people are going through this, the vast majority of FA20 engines are holding up well.

There seems to be a common theme.
Either

1) they are boosted and either A) the tune is bad or B) something physical was done incorrectly in the install

Mine wasn't, and while I can't speak for the install, It was running "seemingly" fine after the new motor and a million and one trips. I have no doubt something in the heads/cams wasn't right still, but no CEL or timing errors, and I don't think it was anything that would've caused a spun bearing.

2) The ones popping N/A have had niggling problems from brand new untill eventually they pop.

Mine ran great new... then just one day didn't feel right, but no noise, they blamed it on altitude, I said it felt like it was pulling time, nothing.

I'm yet to hear of a perfect running motor just suddenly pop out of nowhere at say 20k miles.

It is odd. It's sorta true though, these things are either lemons (the motors,) or they're good for crazy HP. Any how.
Good luck to those getting warranties
Thanks! I did get my warranty, new block is on its way, and they decided to listen to me, and have a "master technician" (engineer?) come and look into the heads, since I mentioned I thought there was a recurring issue there, that potentially contributed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavnFRS View Post
16k miles
Completely stock
Last oil change at 7500
Drove it pretty hard but have lots of experience with driving fast cars, viper, cts-v so im not a dumbass
Was is cruise control in 5th gear going 55, engine sort of stalled out then engine went. Smoke dumped out of hood and exhaust. Threw it in neutral and coasted to a stop.
Blew a rod and sent my cylinder through the head. got full warranty because last snal taken was at a high gear and low rpm.
Toyota tech came in and looked and it and saod the cat was driven extremely hard blah blah blah and there was supposably tons of metal in the engine.
Waitin on complete new engine rebuilt and the techs told me i has the first engine failure in the U.S. Lol
Gonna be scared to drive it hard after the replacement but as you all know it isnt any fun below 4k rpm.
HAHAHAHAH! First engine failure... yeah. Ok. That's what they told me here. By the way, Bill Penney Toyota of Huntsville- on point. Night and day difference with them and Rivergate in Nashville. I think had I been to them the first time, I wouldn't have been fighting like I was. By the way, that sounds exactly like my first failure.... Mileage is even similar. They blamed mine though on a long interval for the oil change, which with the diagnosis of this motor, is clearly NOT the issue. Oh well. We'll see after this one what they say, I may go back and try for my grand back. Also had similar recordings in the ECU blackbox whatever. Was cruising for almost an hour probably never higher than like 3500 to pass, AT so taller gears too, no CEL until it stalled. -.- Good to know the knock sensors work well. LMAO

Oh oh oh . So the funny part was when they almost accused me of over revving then saw it was an AT. He was kinda just, "uh...well. Ok I'll call Toyota and get back to you."
zohare is offline   Reply With Quote